The API Product Owner is responsible for deconstructing the ‘vision’ of the client (product management or external clients) into a lower-level approach to accommodate that vision. Then the Product Owner has a significant role in maximizing the value produced by the analyst team by ensuring the detailed requirements meet the client’s needs and are properly documented, prioritized, and assigned to analysts. Furthermore, the Senior Product Owner is to ensure that the requirements are completed according to the release schedule and are adequately tested, and that the final software meets the objectives the client. As a more senior Product Owner, a product Owner 2 works with the VP of product analysis in the development of product owner/analysis best practices and ensure those best practices are accommodated. The Product Owner 2 also mentors more junior product owners and can serve on multiple teams. Being a product owner for Savana’s API (Application Programming Interface), this person will have special duties and skills as outlined below. The ideal candidate would possess experience with JIRA, Confluence/Sharepoint, Swagger, and Postman. The candidate will have a minimum of 2-4 years of product owner experience; proven experience in modern API design and specification, and high level understanding of MicroServices,, XML, JSON, RESTful API, SOA concepts, Web Services. Sequence Diagrams and Dataflow diagrams
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The type of activities expected to be performed at this level include, but are not limited to:
– Refine the vision – provide a work breakdown (i.e. identify Epics/Stories) that accommodate the vision of product management or the external clients.
– Manage the product backlog -Create and maintain a list of backlog items user stories, defects, etc., and prioritize them based on the overall strategy and business objectives. In addition, map out project dependencies to prioritize the sequence of development efforts. Assure that the backlog is continually updated based on the evolution of the products/features and is fully visible and available.
– Prioritize needs – Manage the scope of the stakeholders needs and reported defects and prioritize analysis/development based on those needs.
– Coordinate product analysis – Working with the VP of Product Analysis, responsible for identifying and assigning work/stories to product analysts and to manage their utilization within their scrum team. Will also review analysis work to ensure it addresses the high-level requirements
– Acting as primary liaison – Acting as the primary communicator and link between product management and teams assuring requirements and instruction are fully understood and executed.
– Evaluating product progress – At each iteration (sprint), fully inspect and evaluate product progress and determine if any remediation or additional development is needed.
– Assist in problem resolution and questions – Provide support for product teams to assist in resolving issues and answering questions.
– Backfill as needed – The PO will fill in and perform any PA duties as needed due to vacations or escalated project timelines
– Mentoring/guiding more junior POs – As a senior level PO, this person will mentor/guide more junior POs
– Management Reporting – The PO will track and communicate the progress of requirements/stories to senior management
– API Specific Duties: Build expertise across domains for both internal APIs and with our partner’s APIs. Ensures there is synergy around API requirements across multiple scrum/project teams
A Bachelor’s degree in Business or IT preferred. Comparable work experience may be considered.
– Agile Methodology experience required
– 2-4 years of product owner experience.
– Proven experience in modern API design and specification.
– High level understanding of MicroServices,, XML, JSON, RESTful API, SOA concepts, Web Services. Sequence Diagrams and Dataflow diagrams
– A working knowledge of the following tools is highly preferred: JIRA, Confluence/Sharepoint, Swagger, Postman
– Experience in banking or financial services is highly preferred with specific focus on bank operations, customer web and mobile banking, or digital account opening.
– Proven ability to demonstrate and communicate business and technical aspects of product initiatives is required.
– Proven ability to collaborate effectively with multiple levels within the internal organization is required.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
– Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are required.
– Strong organizational skills are required.
– Proven ability to think big-picture, and conversely, ability to dive into details.
– Must have the proven ability to work in a fast-paced & evolving environment with flexible responsibilities
– Must be able to travel up to 20%